A tour to Valaam, the ancient monastery on the archipelago in Lake Ladoga (the biggest lake of Europe), reachable from the town of Sortavala on a hydrofoil.
The Valaam archipelago is among Russia’s most interesting cultural, religious, historical and natural attractions in the northern region. Valaam was also the most important monastery of the Finnish Orthodox Church and was evacuated in 1940 due to the winter war.
In this tour we also visit natural sites of the Russian Karelia and the town of Sortavala.
- 07.00 hs departure from Jongunjoki
- Border-crossing Finland-Russia in Niirala. Coffee break.
- Visit to the waterfalls and marble canyon of Ruskeala in Russian Karelia .
- In the afternoon, arrival in Sortavala. City-tour of Sortavala.
- Accommodation in Hotel Sortavala and dinner .
- 07.30 hs breakfast at hotel Sortavala
- 09.00 hs departure in hydrofoil to the Valaam Archipelago
- Guided visit of the monastery. Lunch included.
- Return to Sortavala at 16.00 hs
- Departure to Finland, border crossing at Niirala, stop for coffee or snack at the border.
- Arrival at jongunjoki
Price per person :